top of page

Top 10 Health Benefits of Eating Eggs

1. Incredibly Nutritious

Eggs are among the most nutritious foods on the planet.

A whole egg contains all the nutrients required to turn a single cell into a baby chicken.


A single large boiled egg contains (1):


Vitamin A: 6% of the RDA

Folate: 5% of the RDA

Vitamin B5: 7% of the RDA

Vitamin B12: 9% of the RDA

Vitamin B2: 15% of the RDA

Phosphorus: 9% of the RDA

Selenium: 22% of the RDAEggs also contain decent amounts of vitamin D, vitamin E, vitamin K, vitamin B6, calcium and zinc

This comes with 77 calories, 6 grams of protein and 5 grams of healthy fats.

Eggs also contain various trace nutrients that are important for health.

In fact, eggs are pretty much the perfect food. They contain a little bit of almost every nutrient you need.

If you can get your hands on pastured or omega-3 enriched eggs, these are even better. They contain higher amounts of omega-3 fat and are much higher in vitamin A and E (2, 3).

SUMMARY Whole eggs are among the most nutritious foods on the planet, containing a little bit of almost every nutrient you need. Omega-3 enriched and/or pastured eggs are even healthier.

2. High in Cholesterol, but Don't Adversely Affect Blood Cholesterol

It is true that eggs are high in cholesterol.

In fact, a single egg contains 212 mg, which is over half of the recommended daily intake of 300 mg.

However, it's important to keep in mind that cholesterol in the diet doesn't necessarily raise cholesterol in the blood (4, 5Trusted Source).

The liver actually produces large amounts of cholesterol every single day. When you increase your intake of dietary cholesterol, your liver simply produces less cholesterol to even it out (6Trusted Source, 7Trusted Source).

Nevertheless, the response to eating eggs varies between individuals (8Trusted Source):

In 70% of people, eggs don't raise cholesterol at allIn the other 30% (termed "hyper responders"), eggs can mildly raise total and LDL cholesterol

However, people with genetic disorders like familial hypercholesterolemia or a gene variant called ApoE4 may want to limit or avoid eggs.

SUMMARY Eggs are high in cholesterol, but eating eggs does not adversely affect cholesterol in the blood for the majority of people.

3. Raise HDL (The "Good") Cholesterol

HDL stands for high-density lipoprotein. It is often known as the "good" cholesterol (9).

People who have higher levels of HDL usually have a lower risk of heart disease, stroke and other health problems (10, 11Trusted Source, 12Trusted Source, 13Trusted Source).

Eating eggs is a great way to increase HDL. In one study, eating two eggs per day for six weeks increased HDL levels by 10% (14Trusted Source, 15Trusted Source, 16Trusted Source).

SUMMARYEating eggs consistently leads to elevated levels of HDL (the "good") cholesterol, which is linked to a lower risk of many diseases.

4. Contain Choline — an Important Nutrient That Most People Don't Get Enough Of

Choline is a nutrient that most people don't even know exists, yet it is an incredibly important substance and is often grouped with the B vitamins.

Choline is used to build cell membranes and has a role in producing signaling molecules in the brain, along with various other functions (17Trusted Source).

The symptoms of choline deficiency are serious, so fortunately it’s rare.

Whole eggs are an excellent source of choline. A single egg contains more than 100 mg of this very important nutrient.

SUMMARY Eggs are among the best dietary sources of choline, a nutrient that is incredibly important but most people aren’t getting enough of.

5. Are Linked to a Reduced Risk of Heart Disease


LDL cholesterol is generally known as the "bad" cholesterol.

It is well known that having high levels of LDL is linked to an increased risk of heart disease (18Trusted Source, 19Trusted Source).

But many people don't realize that LDL is divided into subtypes based on the size of the particles.